|When:||Saturday, April 17, 2021|
|Where:||Hale Reservation (80 Carby St., Westwood MA)|
|Cost:||$7 per person|
|Registration deadline:||March 29, 2021 (No refunds can be given after this date.)|
The New England Orienteering Club is planning on holding Spring Scout-O at Hale Reservation on Saturday, April 17, 2021 starting at 9 am. Timing/results via QR codes & smart phone.
All Scouts and other youth are invited to try the sport of orienteering and practice their map and compass skills. Cost will be $7 per person, with online Registration and Arrival Time SignUp required by March 29, 2021. The event will occur rain or shine or snow (plastic bags for maps will be provided).
- Register your group. The form will link you to a page where you can reserve an arrival time slot for your group. (Arrival time registrations are handled via SignUp Genius.)
- NEOC Waiver must be signed by EVERY participant and brought to the event.
- Online Health Attestation from Hale must be filled out by EVERY participant 24 hours prior to the event.
- Careful management of number of participants using SignUp Genius to prevent more than 25 people congregating in any location at Hale: your group will have 30 minutes to gather, pick up maps and read instructional placards. You will then go off into the woods to orienteer, allowing the next group to come to the pavilion/field area.
- No more than 25 people are allowed in the field/parking area at any one time. Groups should creatively choose alternate meeting/lunch locations.
- Timing will be done via scanning QR codes (QRienteering) with a smart phone. (No punch cards, no touching the control.) Results will be immediately available on smart phone.
- In addition to the normal NEOC waiver, Hale requires a Health Attestation completed by EVERY participant within 24 hours of the event.
- In-person instruction will not be available, but we plan to send a link for online instruction and will set up informational placards on site.
- Hale does not provide trash facilities due to COVID – please pack out all trash.
- All attendees must comply with the latest state, local & council COVID-19 Guidelines. All participants MUST wear a face mask at all times.
Adult Scout Leader Training will be offered Saturday April 10th, 9am-11am, at Upton State Forest (205 Westboro Rd, Upton, MA 01568). This training is designed to teach adult Girl Scout and Scout BSA leaders basic orienteering skills such that they feel comfortable bringing their youth to Scout-O. Training is free of charge for any adult bringing youth to Scout-O, but you must let Karen Yeowell know via text or email that you are coming by midnight on April 8th so she has enough time to print maps.
For questions about Hale Reservation or camping, please contact Hale Reservation or