NEOC: Auburndale Park & Flowed Meadow Conservation Area BYOM
From Monday, March 29, 2021
To Sunday, April 04, 2021
Auburndale Park & Flowed Meadow Conservation Area
White, Yellow, Sprint1, Sprint2
Bring Your Own Map (BYOM) orienteering is available for 1 week (March 29-April 4, 2021) at newly mapped (Youth Mapping Program) Auburndale Park and Flowed Meadow Conservation Area, beautifully situated along the Charles River in Newton, MA..
Control locations will be marked with QR codes affixed with flagging tape (orange & white controls are only available during the in-person event on March 28). Timing can be done via QRienteering, or just use your watch (see Timing and Results below).
No volunteers will be on-site, but questions may be directed to the event director.
(QR codes will remain up through sunset on April 4, 2021)
- White (1.1 km) – beginner: all controls on trails
- Yellow (1.7 km) – advanced beginner: all controls visible from trails
- Sprint 1 (3.1 km) – intermediate: some controls close to trails, some not
- Sprint 2 (3.0 km) – intermediate: some controls close to trails, some not
Download & Print your own color map(s). (Free for NEOC members, $5 for non-members.)
Please park at the large lot (free of charge) near The Cove at 104 W Pine St, Auburndale, MA 02466
Items to Bring With You
- Map that you printed. Putting it in a plastic bag (gallon ziplocs work) will keep the ink from smudging.
- Water & snacks - no water is available on the course.
- Mask - required at all times. Keep at least 6-feet between you and everyone else, including at controls if someone else happens to be there.
- Cell phone with web access - to be used for on-site registration and QRienteering. You may also want to bring a backup battery, especially if it’s cold.
(Alternative: Time yourself with a watch and submit your result(s). See "Timing and Results" below.)
- Use of masks and social distancing is required at all times.
- Do not touch the control flags or QR codes with bare hands.
- Please report any missing controls / QR codes or any other issues to the event director.
- Dogs must be leashed.
- Please scan the FINISH QR code (even if you didn’t find them all or just decided to stop) so we know you are off the course.
- Due to COVID, no public restrooms will be available.
Timing and Results
Use your smartphone to scan a QR code at each control (requires data connection; may require an app that reads QR codes). Instructions will be posted at registration. See this intro to QR-code orienteering. Your time and splits will be automatically recorded and uploaded to the NEOC website. (See current QR-code results.)
If you time yourself with a watch, please record your course & time.
Consolidated results (QR-code and self-timed) will be posted soon after the event ends.
104 W. Pine St.
See who's coming to this event from MeetUp.