Starts from 10 AM to Noon
You must reserve a Start time and print your own map before the event.
There is a $5 Event Fee for non-members.
Dust your SI timing devices off and come to NEOC’s first COVID era in-person, not-quite-traditional orienteering event in beautiful Rocky Woods, with a wide range of courses designed by Jeff Schapiro.
November 1st will be in-person, with timing via both SI-stick and QRienteering/smart phone. Start times 10am-noon via reservation and pre-payment to conform to all group-size/social-distancing guidelines. Free for members, $5 for non-members (note that The Trustees also charge $5 per car for parking (payable by credit card)).
SI boxes will be removed at 2pm on November 1st; however controls with QR codes will be available for BYOM orienteering the following two Sundays (November 8 & 15). Note that hunting is allowed Monday-Saturday, so orienteering is only allowed on Sundays.
Please be extra patient for this trial event :-). Volunteers have been working hard to adjust to contactless, socially-distanced orienteering events, and Nov. 1st is our first attempt at combining SI-stick and QR-code timing.
Feedback (both positive and negative) is much appreciated.
Courses available Nov. 1, 8 & 15, 2020
White (2.0 km, 8 controls) – beginner: all controls on trails
Yellow (2.3 km, 10 c) – advanced beginner: all controls visible from trails
Orange (3.4 km, 11 c) – intermediate: some controls close to trails, some not
Brown (3.4 km, 10 c) – hard short: most controls off trails
Green (4.5 km, 13 c) – hard medium: most controls off trails
Red (5.4 km, 17 c) – hard long: most controls off trails
Blue (7.5 km, 20 c) – hard really long: most controls off trails
- Pre-registration with start-time reservation and pre-payment is required. No money collection on site. Reservations close at 8 PM, October 31.
Items to Bring With You
- Credit card to pay for parking at the kiosk. Free if you have a Trustees member card.
- SI-stick - no loaner SI-sticks will be available. If you don’t have an SI-stick, you can use your smart phone to scan QR codes, or self-time.
- Compass - no loaner compasses will be available.
- Map of your course(s), with separate cluesheet if desired.
- Water & snacks - no water or snacks will be available out on the course or at the start/finish.
- Masks (not Halloween!) are required in/around the event site (parking, before start, after finish, etc.). Keep at least 6-feet between you and everyone else, including at controls if someone else happens to be there.
- Smartphone with web access, if you have one, to be used for check-in and course selection.
Arrival at Rocky Woods
- Plan on arriving 30 mins prior to your selected start time.
- Pay for parking ($5 via credit card or free for Trustees members).
- Go to the Pavilion area and scan a “check in” QR code to check yourself in. Indicate which course you will be running.
If you do not have a smartphone (or don’t want to bring it to the event), we will have volunteers who can enter your course information.
- Proceed to Start 5 mins. before your start time (there will be 2 separate start areas for W/Y/O and B/G/R/B). Start times are to allow for social distancing - please allow 3 minutes between each start and maintain distance at controls.
- Please indicate that you are off the course (even if you don’t find all the controls or get fed up partway through!) by downloading your SI-stick or scanning “FINISH” with your smart phone.
- There will be no results monitor - results will be on the website or emailed to you if you supply an email address during check-in.
- Use of masks and social distancing is required at all times.
- Do not touch the control flags or QR codes with bare hands.
- Dogs must be leashed.
Time Your Run
- SI-stick/e-punch available ONLY on November 1, from 10am-2pm -or-
- Time yourself (no splits will be captured) -or-
- Use your smartphone to scan a QR code at each control (requires data connection; may require an app that reads QR codes). Instructions will be posted at registration. [See this intro to QR-code orienteering.]
Record Your Time
- SI-stick and QR-code runners — Your time and splits were automatically recorded.
- Self-timed runners — Record your time for the final results.
- Use your Garmin GPS watch or smartphone to record the course using the Livelox app (link coming), then share it with other users (full documentation on uploading routes is here). Alternatively, you can use Routegadget to show your route after you complete the course.
These courses are open for three consecutive Sundays. Links to the current results are in the Results pages.
Final, consolidated results (self-timed, SI-times, & QR-code) will be posted soon after this event ends.